[hylafax-users] Failed fax after 2 TOTDIALS: No carrier detected

Hi,

I'm using Hylafax+ 4.3.0.5 on Gentoo, with t38modem.

I have some faxes send (first time) to destinations, that first two or
thre attempts are answered by human operators. The problem is that,
instead of retrying up to the value set (manually) of MAXDIALS, the
fax failes after only two attempts. In the qfile i can see:
-snip-
ndials:2
totdials:2
maxdials:20
-snip-

As far as I could tell (since I'm no C++ programmer), the code for
this is in faxd/pageSendApp.c++ (starting line 390):

      case ClassModem::NOCARRIER:     // no carrier detected on remote side
           /*
            * Since some modems can not distinguish between ``No Carrier''
            * and ``No Answer'' we offer this configurable hack whereby
            * we'll retry the job <n> times in the face of ``No Carrier''
            * dialing errors; if we've never previously reached a modem
            * at that number.  This should not be used except if
            * the modem is incapable of distinguishing between
            * ``No Carrier'' and ``No Answer''.
            */
           if (!info.getCalledBefore() && req.ndials > retryMAX[callstat]) {
               sendFailed(req, send_failed, notice);
               break;
           }
           /* fall thru... */

I've never seen "No Answer", thus i think this is the case for my
particular problem.

Now, the question: should I change the line:
           if (!info.getCalledBefore() && req.ndials > retryMAX[callstat]) {
to:
           if (!info.getCalledBefore() && req.ndials > req.maxdials) {
in order to get the expected behaviour?

Please note that we're in a havy traffic environment, with ~200
faxes/hour sent and ~300 received. So, manually setting in the info
dir "CalledBefore:yes" is not really an option.

Thanks,
gigelusster