Re: [hylafax-users] how to write restartmodem script?

Aurimas Fišeras wrote:

Hello,
Hylafax 4.2.1-5sarge3 on Debian sarge

I use cheap external modem Genius GM56EX on ttyS0 configured as Class1
in hylafax.

From time to time it gets "wedged" while recieving a fax. It gets into
endless loop (log shows endless retries).

I'd like to see this log, but chances are good that this is fixed in 4.2.5.

Cancelling on fax sender side or hanging up the line on reciever side
fixes the problem.

What should I write to the /etc/resetmodem script to attempt cut
connection or softrestart the modem to get it "unwedged".

Hardrestart (switching it off/on) is not always possible.

With an external modem a useful resetmodem script may be difficult to get... you may just need to 'reboot'... unless you have the serial driver loaded as a module, can unload and then reload it, and that solves the problem. If indeed it is the modem that is wedged and not the serial driver or the underlying system, then you may not be able to reset the modem without a power cycle. So even rebooting may not resolve it... since a reboot will not power-cycle the modem's power.