[hylafax-users] Can not determine file type

Dear all,

I have a peculiar problem with sendfax after upgrading our fax system to latest HylaFax release. Prior to this, everything worked fine. In all fairness, both the system and other software was updated too.

FreeBSD 5.5-PRERELEASE
hylafax-4.2.5
cups-1.1.23

The setup is with converting a ascii printout, extract a faxnumber and hand it over to sendfax. We use a slightly modified version of the "sambafax" script.

Since the upgrade, sendfax fails with a "Can not determine file type" message. What is peculiar is the fact that running the same command and input file from the command line works just great. Unfortunately I can get just so much debugging information out of cups and it's not enough to see exactly where it goes wrong.

Basics of the script are
/bin/cat >${FAXFILE}	  #extract the ascii from cups print
/bin/cat $6 >>${FAXFILE}  #

<some code to extract fax number>
if [ "${FAXNUM}" = "" ]
<send an error msg>
else
${SENDFAX} -n -d ${FAXNUM} ${FAXFILE}
fi

In the cups error log I see
[Job 71] /tmp/sambafax.10512: Can not determine file type
PID 10512 stopped with status 255!

BUT, running everything manually the same doc gets identified as ascii and sent away.

Comments, ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Per olof