Re: [hylafax-users] License

Tom Miller wrote:

What one have to do it one wants to use Hylafax for resale?

Since this is the second time you've asked this, I'll answer since it seems like the replies you've gotten didn't answer your question...

The copyright and license is found in the source code and elsewhere:

http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/COPYRIGHT

Now, I am not a lawyer, and if you need legal advice you should probably consider seeking the counsel of one on this, but as I read the copyright/license it pretty much gives everyone the ability to sell HylaFAX along with modifying it and redistributing it as long as two conditions are met: 1) that the copyright/license appears in all copies of the software, and 2) that you not name SGI or Sam Leffler in marketing or publicity stunts.

Now this is just me, but I would also go as far as advising against using the name "HylaFAX" within your product name as there may be some legal basis for an existing trademark claim on that name. The copyright/license doesn't specify whether permission to use the claimed HylaFAX trademark is granted along with the license, and I think that the safe thing to do is to assume that it's not. But there is some doubt as to whether the trademark was ever registered in the first place, and it would seem that others don't follow my same line of thinking, either.

So I guess it depends upon what you intend to do as "reselling". One of the more common ways of reselling HylaFAX that I've seen is to bundle HylaFAX in a larger software project, such as an office connectivity suite. And I think that's fair usage and it doesn't appear to have gotten anyone in any trouble.