Re: [hylafax-users] Unknown document type when sending pdf via email

Bodo Meissner wrote:
Am 2006.01.27 00:53 schrieb(en) Santos:
Initially i was using the material here on this page to send pdf: http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/howto/misc/faxmail-mimeconverters.php

Hello Santos,

on this page the filter.pl script is used with the output of
/usr/bin/gs ... -sDEVICE=pswrite ...
With this output device Ghostscript creates (simpler) PostScript from the input PostScript or PDF document.
In this case it may be OK to rely on the "showpage" operators in the document because we know it's created by Ghostscript/pswrite. (There is a little chance that a document containing "showpage" in it's text may be processed wrong.)

############## /usr/local/faxscripts/application/pdf #!/bin/bash
/bin/echo " "
/bin/echo "showpage"

/var/spool/hylafax/bin/pdf2fax $1 | /usr/local/faxscripts/filter.pl

Ah yes, pdf2fax is there as it is the third tool i tried to generate a fax image. Tried some before, all with the same result.

I think this combination of pdf2fax with filter.pl is definitely wrong. filter.pl expects to process PostScript data, not TIFF (fax) data.

Sorry, I cannot help you further here.
I don't use faxmail and I don't know what data format the next processing step expects to find as output of the mime conversion script.

OK, it's solved:

#!/bin/bash
/bin/echo " "
/bin/echo "showpage"
/usr/bin/pdftops $1 - | /usr/local/faxscripts/filter.pl

So simple... the filter.pl is still needed otherwise a blank page will appear on the end of the fax. Ialready got png, gif, jpg, etc working. Imagemagick's "convert" helps a lot. Next step is to get doc files working :) Gonna try that with open office.

I know that email to fax gateway is not the recommened "solution", but almost, if not all, free windows fax clients suck. WHFC, is nice but the GUI isn't so friendly, winprint for hylafax is nice, but not a chance to see the received and sent faxes, and the rest is always missing some important feature.

Thanks for your help,

Santos