Re: [hylafax-users] [hylafax-devel] License for Hylafax

Thus wrote Arvind Tripathy:
> Hi folks,
>
> I had two querries.
>
>    * We were planning to use Hylafax for one of our projects and even
>      tested the latest version(4.25). However, on searching the
>      site(http://www.hylafax.org) we found no clue of any License under
>      which Hylafax is covered. Although, there is some mention in the
>      Code/Readme headers. Kindly let me know what are the implications
>      of using Hylafax. Our use would be mostly to send out faxes.

I am not a lawyer, but for me the copyright statement clearly tells it's ok to
use it and sell products that include it. If You (or Your boss) need a
professional legal statement, then do hire a real lawyer to do it.

>    * Are there any client libraries (.so on Linux) which we could
>      integrate with and make calls to send faxes to the Hylafax servers.

As far as I know the most common way to integrate HylaFAX with one's programs is
via notification scripts (faxrcvd and notify). These can be easily enhanced to
do all kinds of tasks. My company's scripts do everything from samba to MySQL.

If Your aim is to write a program that sends faxes (i.e. yet another HylaFAX
client), then better than trying to link it with HylaFAX itself use a FTP
library of your choice. HylaFAX clients connect to the HylaFAX server using FTP
with custom commands. I'm afraid this aspect of HylaFAX system isn't documented
as thoroughly as I wish it were.

Besides, I don't think there is a shared library that one can link against.

--
tadeusz