Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX 4.2.3 questions

Support wrote:

First, it seems the broadcast script on this page http://www.mainpine.com/faqs/ans51.htm <BLOCKED::http://www.mainpine.com/faqs/ans51.htm> which we used on 4.2.0, seems to send the amount we input after the image file on every port.
Instead of sending 500 total faxes as in the example listed, it would send 500 faxes out of each port. (1000 total faxes)

I think that you misunderstand your script and the preceding documentation. The documentation there says, "to run type [command] to send 500 times over two ports". Now, I guess that could be read to mean that it would send it a total of 500 times spread out over the two ports, but the script doesn't do this. So the other meaning of that would be to mean that it would send it 500 times each on two ports (totalling 1000).

The script does this:

 for ((a=1; a<=500; a++))
 do
 echo "33333456789012" >> port3_list
 echo "44444567890123" >> port4_list
 done

So by the time the loop finishes you'll have 500 entries in port3_list and 500 entries in port4_list. Then port3_list is used to fax out on one port and port4_list is used to fax out on another. That totals 1000.

If you really want a grand total of 500 faxes being sent spread out (perhaps even unevenly) over 2 ports then you'd probably want to do it this way:

rm dest_list
for ((a=1; a<=$2; a++))
do
echo "33333456789012" >> dest_list
done
sendfax -n -N -m -k "now + 1 week" -h modem_group@localhost "$1" -z dest_list

... where in this scenario "modem_group" is a group of modems defined to be the two ports that you want to use. Now, assuming (as usually would be the case) that all of the modems can be used for sending, then there is no reason to specify the -h option at all since "any@localhost" is the default...

sendfax -n -N -m -k "now + 1 week" "$1" -z dest_list

Now, I understand that this is a sample script, but generally speaking, normal-resolution faxes will be perfectly readable... so unless the fax image contains graphics or fine print, there's probably no need to use fine resolution, as it will only increase the send-time of 500 faxes noticeably (especially when communicating with MH/MR-only receivers). So...

sendfax -n -N -l -k "now + 1 week" "$1" -z dest_list

Another interesting change is it seems to log differently. 4.2.0 kept a log file for every transaction, while 4.2.3 seems to group many transactions into a smaller group of log files.

This is due to batching, and because your script is faxing to the same number every time. You can disable batching, if desired, by setting MaxBatchJobs.

Thanks,