Re: [hylafax-users] False "Busy signal detected" error

Mark Hellman wrote:

I got in touch with Linuxant and they suggested I use "AT X1" as an
initialization string, which disables busy signal detection.

This indeed works, but I am wondering if this is harmless to Hylafax. Does
Hylafax relies on busy signal detection to prevent, for instance, trying to
send a fax while another fax is being received? Or does Hylafax has other
mechanisms to prevent send/receive overlapping?

Disabling BUSY signal detection is only going to affect the result of the ATD command. I would expect, then, that the modem will eventually report NO CARRIER instead of BUSY for truly busy calls.

What that means is that you no longer are capable of detecting busy signals, and so all of the rules that apply to NO CARRIER results (NoCarrierRetries, for example) are used for busy signals as well. The basic effect on default installations will be that fewer attempts to busy destinations will be made unless the destination is known (by the info file) to actually have a fax machine there.

For the most part following Linuxant's suggestion should be safe. It's disappointing, however, that Linuxant does not indicate whether they are going to fix it, not fix it, or if it cannot be fixed due to chipset (DSP) problems.