Re: [hylafax-users] Config Files and Color Faxing for HylaFax-4.2.2rc5

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:36:24 -0400
Frank Peters <frank.peters@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Also, I noticed that HylaFax-4.2.2 now has color and grayscale JPEG
> capabilities (at least in class 1.0).  How exactly is this to be utilized?
> I've noticed no other commands or options that would be associated
> with the sending of JPEG images.

Ooops.  After doing some quick searching, I discover that the
color fax capability does not refer to JPEG images but to a
particular kind of JPEG-in-TIFF compression, which is different
from an ordinary JPEG format file.

> Color profiles seem to be necessary in color fax transmission/reception.
> This is what is indicated on the LittleCMS, an Open Source color
> management tool, web site (http://www.littlecms.com).  How are these
> color profiles to be implemented in HylaFax-4.2.2?

The standard that Hylafax-4.2.2 uses for JPEG-in-TIFF transmission
is T.30-E (from hylafax-config man page).  These LittleCMS color
profiles refer to a T.42 fax standard.  But I think that T.30-E
also requires a profile.

This is as far as my current understanding goes.  What are the
nature of these two standards?  Why two standards for color
images?

Frank Peters