Re: [hylafax-users] batching almost there

offman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In your previous post you stated that the jobs would be re-submitted with a 'jitter', I assume that this "jitter" occurs because it is from the "current time" and the re-schedule time is added in to that ., as aposed to the resubmittal being "TTS"+ re-schedule time.

You are correct that the rescheduling occurs based on the current time... well, I think so anyway. The "now" part isn't so much the problem as is the intentional "jitter". There is actually a deliberate "jitter-time" that is random that is added to the the reschedule time. So the effect of it is that the batched jobs get "shuffled" with respect to their time-to-send. HylaFAX added this jitter for a long, long time now. The original author seems to have wanted that "jitter" there to prevent the same events from happening over time... I guess he believed that by randomizing the reschedule time that some time-related problems could be avoided.

what would be the effect of taking the old "TTS"+ the reschedule time , and using that as the resubmit fire time?

Well, that could be done. Same with removing the jitter. It's just a behavior that has been there forever and the addition of batching to faxq didn't change that.

I would guess that this will put the jobs back into the re-try queue so they all fire at the same time ( if they were origionally all sent with the same TTS), that might negate the need to play about with an admin agent, or is that likely to messup other users?

I don't know if it would mess others up. But yes, your admin agent should be able to keep them all together.

we might need a bit of logic to check that the "old TTS+reschedule time" was not less that the current time, just incase it was running on a heavily loaded backlogged server, and if it was then just use the "current time"+re-schedule time.

Yes, of course.