Re: [hylafax-users] CUPS support -- is it there?

> Is anyone able to print to a fax printer via cups?
> Everything I've found is rather old and tells of things not working.
> CUPS fax printing should be doable: I know there is a way to print to ps or pdf
> files - just a bit more code to make that go off via hylafax? Or is it a problem
> to start a gui from CUPS to collect the fax number?

It is an enourmous problem to start a gui from CUPS (in any kind of
normal-works-100%-of-the-time way).  Even if you are on the same machine
there are a myriad of security layers to traverse.  Unless there is
someway to hack up a PPD file to make 'fax number' a job attribute and
then dig that out again at the server - I don't even know if that is
possible.

> What is the best Linux client to try if CUPS is not working?

Honestly I think they all stink, but last I checked setting up a fax
printer in Open Office was trivial - it just invokes sendfax.  Beyond
that there is gFax but I don't know how maintained it is currently.

If you are really interested and have a programmer happy I'd bet D-BUS
is the way to solve the communications problem - off the top of my head,