[hylafax-users] How does a HylaFAX release happen?

Folks,

As I'm sure most of you know, much of the success and popularity of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) relies on the openness and transparency of the development process. While the developers, as a community, do strive to be as open and as transparent as possible, there's always room for improvement in how we as developers communicate with one another, and also with the user community. In this email, I'd like to explain how HylaFAX releases happen, and how you can participate in the development process. I've cross-posted it to hylafax-users and to hylafax-devel, but I ask that anyone who wishes to comment or ask questions do so by following-up to the hylafax-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list exclusively. PLEASE DO NOT CROSSPOST!!!

Q1: So who decides when it's time to cut a new release?

A1: The simple answer is that you do. As with most aspects of HylaFAX development, the decision to trigger a release cycle is made by the community, using a methodology generally referred to as "rough concensus". The process may be initiated by anyone, by dropping an email to the hylafax-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx mailing list. There will be an expectation that if you have taken the time to compose such an email, you will also have taken the time to familiarize yourself with changes to CVS HEAD since the last official release, and believe there to be sufficient value in those changes to justify a new release. You may be called upon to defend or advocate for your position, so be prepared for some discussion! Discussion on the list will eventually converge to a rough concensus, and a decision will be taken to either trigger a release cycle or continue development. Silence will be interpreted as support for the proposed release, so make sure your opinion is heard!

Q2: What does a release cycle look like?

A2. The first phase of a release cycle is a 'feature freeze', where nothing is committed to CVS which adds or removes any significant features. Developers should tidy up any loose ends that might remain on work they have committed since the last official release and should advocate for any bugs, issues and/or patches that they think should be considered before moving to the next phase - the beta release. Once rough concensus seems to have been reached I will issue a last call for comments, and if there are no objections I will tag and release the first beta release. Early beta releases will be announced on the hylafax-devel mailing list only, and developers will be strongly encouraged to download and compile the beta on their setups and test it thoroughly. Each beta will live for a period of approximately two weeks. If after two weeks no significant changes have been necessary to any beta release, that beta will become a release candidate. Release candidates will be announced on the hylafax-announce mailing list, which includes hylafax-devel and hylafax-users, as well as anyone who subscribed to the -announce list explicitly. If any significant surgery is necessary within two weeks of this wider testing, a new release candidate will be issued and the clock will start over. If no changes or only minor changes are needed, the release candidate becomes a release and I will package and announce it to hylafax-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Q3: Sounds like fun - how can I get involved?

A3: Great question! Every single step outlined above benefits from the participation of as many people as possible. If you're a hardcore developer looking for a challenge, visit http://www.hylafax.org/cvs.php and find yourself a pet project, or perhaps even a pet peeve. Contribute! You'll find the developers in general very responsive to contributions and/or criticism, and everyone's welcome to contribute at this leve. See http://www.hylafax.org/mailing-lists.php for instructions on how to join the hylafax-devel mailing list if you'd like to participate in discussions, or just follow along for the sheer entertainment value ;-) The next best way you can help is to test the beta releases, and especially the release candidates. You can do a service to the whole HylaFAX community by trying to break an upcoming release before it's finalized!

Q4: What is your role in this whole process? Whose interests do you serve?

A4: I founded hylafax.org in 1998, and got it off the ground thanks in part to the particularly heroic efforts of Robert Colquhoun and Phil Watkinson. These days my company pays me and a few other engineers to spend some of our time administering hylafax.org and the various related services. I'm not much more than a glorified secretary in the release process, keeping track of when concensus has been reached, packaging up the releases and getting them up onto ftp.hylafax.org. I serve the interests of the community now just as I did then. For more details on the birth of hylafax.org, see:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fa.hylafax/browse_thread/thread/51de9ecf28825270/f958e28af01220af

and for a longer discussion from various stakeholders at that time, see:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fa.hylafax/browse_thread/thread/1153d2b98db5a482/5bb8351359e1cee8

Q5: So with all this talk of a release ... does that mean we are due for one?

A5: You're just going to have to join hylafax-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx and see for yourself! ;-)

Sincerely,

--
Darren Nickerson