Re: [hylafax-users] pdf2ps, faxmail, sendfax, sendmail

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Tom Rymes wrote:

> I have seen this about 500 times on the list and it always elicits the
> same response from me:
>
> 1.) I am not a programmer, so I can't just throw anything together.

I don't mean to sound elitist, but HylaFAX does require a fair amount of
skill to get customized and working ideally.  For example, FaxDispatch
customization requires at least *some* shell skills.  Then there's
FaxNotify, DynamicConfig, and others.  These were all meant for
customization.  Sure, HylaFAX works without them being touched, and that's
the idea.  But when someone wants to take HylaFAX beyond the defaults,
then some skill is required to make that happen.

So my point is that when a HylaFAX administrator wants to take HylaFAX
beyond the defaults then they need to either 1) have some skills to make
that happen, or 2) get someone to do it for them.

> 2.) Why isn't the current distribution updated to make it so that
> faxmail *can* handle PDF?

faxmail works by blindly throwing a PostScript wrapper around all files it
gets and then delivers those to hfaxd.  So if you submit ASCII text it
gets a PostScript wrapper.  If you send PostScript then it gets a
PostScript wrapper around the PostScript.  You can't take this approach,
however, with much of anything else including TIFF and PDF.  So
consequently faxmail would pretty much need to be rewritten entirely to
natively handle PostScript.  That said, it has already been mentioned on
this list that faxmail can be configured to handle PDF (see "External
scripts..." in the faxmail man page).  I'll admit, though, that the
documentation is difficult to follow, and I've never actually heard of
anyone doing it.  Honestly, I'd say that it's probably as easy to rewrite
faxmail as it is to write one of those conversion scripts.

So, anyway, extending faxmail doesn't appear to be something that
developers are interested in doing on their own motivations.

> (especially if it is so easy, and so many
> others have already invented this wheel, it seems.)

It's a customization in each case.  It's not something, really, that you
expect to be useful for others.  If I gave you one of my faxmail
replacements then you would be pretty much required to know shell
scripting in order to get it working for you.  And so you'd ask me to do
it for you, and it would just go to reconfirm my statements above that if
you can't customize it yourself you'll need to get someone to do it for
you.

Lee.