[hylafax-users] USR Modem, upgrades

My HylaFAX (4.1.8) server is a single line server that is using a USR
Sportster 33.6 serial (external) modem. It was installed from RPM, and other
than tweaking faxrcvd and FaxDispatch, has had no modifications. The users
have come to rely heavily on this server for incoming and outgoing faxes.

I have an issue that appears to be very rare: it seems to work flawlessly,
in spite of its USR modem.  I mention this only because I have never read
anything but complaints about USR modems, and so it makes me wonder if:  A)
I have a rare USR gem, and it needs to be documented, or B) I am having
problems I have not noticed, or C) my faxing load/environment is not
conducive to producing the errors so many others see with USR modems.

I would really like to upgrade HylaFAX to a newer version, but am afraid
that by doing so, I will upset the balance that has made this server perform
so well.  My questions are these:  are these fears unfounded?  If so, what
is the safest upgrade procedure for me to ensure continued stability and
minimize downtime?

JM