Re: [hylafax-users] awk bug in bin/notify

Am 2005.02.16 12:48 schrieb(en) Giuseppe Sacco:
Il giorno mar, 15-02-2005 alle 19:42 -0500, andy ha scritto:
> -                  gsub("*","",status);
> +                  gsub(/\*/,"",status);

Thanks for your patch. Another solution is to use the GNU awk.

Hello Giuseppe,

IMHO using gawk is only a workaround.

Does gawk explicitly allow an unescaped '*' as the first character of an regular expression?
Even if this is allowed, I don't see any benefit in using a non- portable syntax.

On Linux it's very likely that GNU awk is available, so we can use this to avoid changing the notify script, but the clean solution is to fix the script as Andy suggested.

Bodo