Re: [hylafax-users] Failed to properly detect high-speed data carrier

Kimble,

I have considered replacing the fax machine that produces these errors and will if that is the final solution. Being new to Hylafax, I was worried that the machine I replace it with might also show up with the same errors -- then I would be in a bit of a pickle. How do I say this without it coming out wrong? -- It is easy to tweak Hylafax and the modems via the config. It is very difficult to decipher the problem via the logs (looks like a foreign language to me.) For that reason I thought this was a good starting point (experts with experience might have some suggestions.) I could just start swapping hardware until the problem goes away, but won't be able to do that in every case.

Lee,

I am getting the logs together. I have two receiving Multitech modems that both have trouble receiving from this same sender. That really makes it seem like I need to replace that Brother fax machine. But, if that machine wasn't in an office I could control, I would be in trouble.

I appreciate both of your comments and help!

--John Kosta

Lee Howard wrote:
Kimble,

I agree with your advice.

However, in this case I see an opportunity to investigate a possibility of improving HylaFAX. On the systems I administer I see a little less than 1% reception errors. Half of those are due to "failed to properly detect high-speed data carrier" errors that look rather similar to the log that John has posted. I've investigated these problems on one production server before, but I had to test long, long periods of "random" and "occassional" errors to try to determine what was going on, and in the end I found no useful result. If John has a scenario that can reproduce the problem, then maybe I can find an answer more easily this way.

Thanks,

Lee.