Re: [hylafax-users] PS/Coverpage Problem

* Donald, Adam <adam.donald@xxxxxxxxxxx> [050201 13:05]:
> Hello
>

> I have a coverpage created with tgif, and then modified for xcomments, etc.
>
> If I send the coverpage to a regular fax machine, the coverpage looks just
> fine (I am guessing that is because it actually prints the image on a
> physical page).
>
> If I send the coverpage to a fax modem, all the whitespace below the last
> line of the comments is truncated, with the tag line usually ending up in
> the middle of the page instead of the top of the page.

This sounds like a software conversion on the receiver, and nothing to
do with the data you sent.

HylaFAX can  "chop" the blank data of the bottom of the image (you can
control this; man sendfax, and sendfax -vv if you have your own client).

If the page is "chopped", it saves a bit of time on the line, and for
machines that have continuous rolls of paper, saves some paper.  They
often start printing at the top of the page, as things come in.

It sounds like the the "fax modem software" (is it HylaFAX?) is taking
this short image and rendering it to a full page, but instead of
starting at the of the page, it's starting at the bottom (bottom left is
often the origin in printing systems, like PS and PDF).

> If it helps, here are the last several lines of the coverpage:
> I have the ps version of the coverpage available to post; however, I would
> like to know if this is an appropriate group to post it to, or if there is a
> more ps-centric group that I can ask.
>
> I would appreciate any input.

I don't think this is anything to do with your cover page (except that
it's got blank space which is being "chopped").  Some options:

1) Let receivers deal with having your image at the bottom.  Really, you
   aren't sending it this way.  The receiver is rendering it this way.
2) Make your cover page have something at the bottom to force a full
   page to be sent so the receiver only has to ever render it as a full
   page
3) Set your page chop so nothing is chopped.  Again, lots of blanks
   transmitted, but the receiver will always get a full page.

My suggestion is for 1.  If you control the receiving modem software,
all the better, you can work on it's rendering to make it start at the
top of the page.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103