Re: [hylafax-users] Failed to properly open control V.34 channel

On 2004.06.29 12:19 Kris Henderson wrote:

Jun 26 03:43:58.90: [16690]: <-- <2:10 6D>
Jun 26 03:44:08.04: [16690]: --> <2:10 04>
Jun 26 03:44:08.04: [16690]: EOT received (end of transmission)
Jun 26 03:44:08.04: [16690]: Failed to properly open control V.34
channel.

Yeah, this is the worst-case scenario. Basically we send image data, and request to open the the control channel (<DLE><0x6D>), and then 10 seconds later we get EOT (<DLE><0x04>) which means that the V.34 connection has been terminated (i.e., the remote hung up).

Most likely this is something that MultiTech is going to have to look at, if it is reproducible. I suppose that it is possible that HylaFAX is sending some uniquely bad image data to it (i.e., are you testing with multi-strip MMR image data?), somehow, and that's messing up the receiver. That seems unlikely, though.

This logfile is from a slightly older version of HylaFAX that I have
modified, I sent a two page fax.  It looks like the first page made it
ok and most of the second page was sent before the error occurred.
When
I saw the error happening in my code I tried it in the CVS version of
HylaFAX and saw it happen there, though the last 10 or so faxes I've
sent using the CVS version do not have this error.  Is there anything
that might have changed in the last month or two that would make this
error less likely in the CVS version of HylaFAX?

It's possible, but I don't know what it could have been.

Could timing make
this
error more likely to occur, for example if an operation in Phase B or
takes 1 or 2 seconds longer than it used to?

In V.34 there really is no DTE-imposed timing restrictions that I can think of. I don't think that "timing" is the issue. I suspect that it's something that the manufacturer is going to have to discover. Once that happens then the circumstances of its occurrence will be made manifest.

I can send the entire
log
to anyone interested in seeing it but it is almost 9MB.

I don't think that would help much. At this point you have to rely upon the manufacturer, or get lucky in discovering a condition that will not cause the error, and then do something to make sure that condition always occurs.