Re: [hylafax-users] 4.1.8 compile problem - tifflib version -- solved by iFAX!

Title: Re: [hylafax-users] 4.1.8 compile problem - tifflib version -- solved by iFAX!
Ron,

Congratulations on solving your problem and good to hear that iFax is a worthy supplement to HylaFAX.

Since it’s germane to the subject, I thought I’d refer you to this interesting article that I ran across when I was troubleshooting similar issues, (also on Solaris).  It’s a pretty good discussion on LD_LIBRARY_PATH with examples of appropriate and inappropriate usage.

http://www.visi.com/~barr/ldpath.php

After reading the article, I discontinued my practice of routinely extending LD_LIBRARY_PATH and moved towards using crle to manage link-time paths.  e.g. I stopped this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mynewapp/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and started doing this:

crle –u –l /mynewapp/lib

My environment is now a little more manageable and controllable.  I suspect, after reading this article, you may be able to identify some of the reasons you were experiencing difficulties.

Regards,
Adrian Newby

Message from "Ron" <listread@xxxxxxx> , received on 3/30/04 4:38 AM:

Pedro,

My apologies to you and a couple of others who were kind enough to try to help me solve the tifflib problem - I misspoke when I said "no one dared to tackle this problem".

I did not mean to impugn the helpfulness of the list members, instead, I was trying to complement iFAX.  It turned out to be a tough problem and iFAX really had to work for their fee with this one, expending much more effort than could be expected for a list member to donate.

FYI:  The solution had to do (mostly) with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.  Over the last decade or so this Solaris system has been up, several applications required an extensive set of paths. Eliminating the path did allow HylaFAX to compile, but GS wouldn't run properly.  When we simply defined LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib  all worked fine.   (NOTE:  I had been using the correct version of libtiff.)

Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

- Ron

Pedro Rocadas wrote:

--- Ron <listread@xxxxxxx> <mailto:listread@xxxxxxx>  wrote:

Although no one on the list dared to tackle this
problem, we did solve
it with the help of    iFAX's    consulting service.

They were prompt and professional - and got the job
done!

Well, I guess they have the time to answer you. You
can't expect help as granted since most of the people
here have to spent their personal time to give
answers.But, why, you may think, nobody answer you? I
can give you an example. I posted last week a question
about fax resolution that if I searched in the
documentation(I rememebered that later), wouldn't be
necessary bother anyone (thanks Darren). So, about
your question, I presume that you had installed a
libtiff that's incompatible with 4.1.8, according with
what the message points. If you searched in the
mailling list, this question was made before, and the
answer was: downgrade. It's not a matter of not answer
your question, the thing is, it didn't happen.
Best regards.

- Ron

Ron wrote:

We have installed libtiff version 3.6.1 and are

trying to compile

HylaFAX 4.1.8 and get the following error:

... checking TIFF library version
ld.so.1: ./a.out: fatal: relocation error: file

./a.out: symbol

TIFFGetVersion: referenced symbol not found
 Found tiffio.h version 0
 Found libtiff version

Incompatible TIFF Library.

HylaFAX 4.1.8 requires TIFF software distribution

ver 3.4, 3.5, or

3.6.  If you do not have up to date TIFF software

on your system then

you can retrieve it from the location where you

obtained this software.

Again, the tiff software IS installed.  Has anyone

seen this problem?

Thanks,

- Ron

____________________ HylaFAX(tm) Users Mailing

List

hylafax-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxx <

/dev/null
 *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support,

mail sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx*

  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support,
mail sales@xxxxxxxxx*

---------------------------------

Adrian Newby
Chief Technology Officer
Prudent Rx Inc.
100 Corporate Pointe, Suite 395
Culver City, CA 90230

P: +1 (310)642-1700 x124
F: +1 (310)642-1701
e: anewby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

**Notice of Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the communication is prohibited.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions