Re: [hylafax-users] experience with PCI-multi-serial ports and modems.

On 2003.12.12 10:26 Abacus Computer wrote:
Hallo to all,

has anybody experience with a PCI card with multi-serial ports and modems.
What is a good brand working with redhat linux and hylafax ?

I've used Comtrol, MultiTech, Digi, and Equinox. The Comtrol and Equinox were both good cards and fairly equivalent in features both support Class 1 and Class 2. The Digi supported MMR and RTFCC in Class 2.0, but its Class 1 is broken as far as I can tell. The MultiTech supports MMR, RTFCC, and V.34 in Class 2.0/2.1, and its Class 1 implementation is good. You can find Comtrol RocketModem PCI cards on eBay, and that's nice because they're a lot less expensive than any other avenue.

How many PCI-cards are possible? Only one or so much I have PCI-slots?

This is going to depend on limitations by your motherboard (in slots and IRQs) and the device in question (whether or not the driver uses an IRQ and can allow for multiple cards).

Once you get to about 16 lines, however, you really should consider going digital. The device (i.e., Eicon) will be more expensive, but the monthly telco costs may be less.