Re: [hylafax-users] Easy way to setup WHFC on multiple boxes?

On 2003.12.01 20:03 Bill Binko wrote:
Hello all,
We are using Hylafax for moderate (50+ faxes/day) inbound operations
and
it is working well.

We also have WHFC setup on the client machines, and it also works
well.
However, as this small office grows, WHFC configuration is becoming a
larger and larger problem.  We would like to be able to do something
like
the following:

1) Install WHFC on one client.
2) Configure the following system information on the machine:
	a) Server name
	b) Max Dial/Max Tries
	c) Other misc settings from the systems setting dialog
3) Setup the modems (or a default) that can be used
4) Setup the following generic user info on the machine (defaults
should
be the same for all new users)
	1) "From" entries (company/phone/etc.)
	2) Fax cover location (on shared drive)
	2) ODBC company phonebook info
	3) All entries on "user settings" except for Name, Login, and
Email
5) Setup the postscript printer to use the right port and driver
6) Setup specific info that is specific to the windows user logged in.
For example, if the user currently logged in is "\\DOMAIN\bill", then
logon would be bill, email would be bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, etc.

I would then like to be able to capture the results of this and replay
1-5
on another client machine.  In fact, I would like to be able to say:
install WHFC, go to \\sharedsystem\installs\whfc\latest and run the
setup
program.  Then, run the file standardsetup.reg (or bat, etc) to setup
the
rest of the system".

I realize this is a feature request, and not a bug, but has anyone
solved
this problem?  It seems that there should be some way to make this
work.
Perhaps a custom installshield?

I'm not a WHFC expert by any means, but I assume that it saves configuration settings either in 1) registry keys, and/or 2) configuration files (hopefully text).

If so, then it's just a matter of doing 1-5 on one workstation and then copying the registry keys and/or configuration files onto the target location on all of the other workstations. A mere batch file would do it, no need to use InstallShield.