Re: [hylafax-users] 2+ External serial modems?

On 2003.11.19 23:29 Sam Currie wrote:

I have been testing the system using two external serial modems.  They
are old Netcomm E11F's, very reliable and stable.  But I would like to
add a third modem.  Now my plan was to simply add an ISA 2 serial port
card to the PC to give it a total of 4.  Then simply add another E11F
the same way I did for the first two.

But I was just reading the How-To and I noticed under the 'External
Serial Modems' section it would seem this does not work.  Though I
will
admit I didn't understand why.  Can someone please expand on this?

The comments in the HOWTO stem from an assumption that the user is limited to the four "standard" on-board PC serial ports: I/O 0x3F8, IRQ 4; I/O 0x2F8, IRQ 3; I/O 0x3E8, IRQ 4; and I/O 0x2E8, IRQ 3. In Linux those are known as ttyS0, ttyS1, ttyS2, and ttyS3, respectively. In MS-DOS they're COM1 through COM4.

The reason that you can only use two of those at the same time is because ttyS0 and ttyS2 share an interrupt as well as ttyS1 and ttyS3 share an interrupt. Because faxgetty is always using the modem you can't have it monitoring two ports on the same interrupt without experiencing conflicts. If you don't use faxgetty (send-only) then you could do it, but you'd need to make sure that you don't simultaneously send out of two modems that share an interrupt.

Now, if you're going to install an expansion card that breaks the assumptions I mention above - i.e., it uses different I/Os and different IRQs - then you could very well use them. Traditionally ISA type devices don't share IRQs at all. You probably will fare better trying to install a PCI serial expansion card.