Re: [hylafax-users] FW: hylafax works halfway

--- Duke Justice <duke_justice@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pedro: Thanks for answering.

You're welcome.

> I understand your answers and agree with you on
> reading the
> documentation. You must see hundreds of newbies like
> me here.

I consider myself still a newbie in faxing and hylafax
configuration. I'm all always learning something, like
when reading Lee comments for example. Reading the
documentation you give credit to those who spent their
time to write usefull documentation and at the same
your curve of learning will look like a rocket.

> Don't get
> me wrong I really appreciate your answers, but I am
> a little new to
> linux

My intention was not patronizing anyone (I learned
this word some months ago). There is a culture of
RTFineM around the unix world wich I, after some
years, agreed and verified that works in different
fields and interests.

>... Imagine Hylafax. I just got the opportunity
> to promote Linux in
> my company, but have learned everything I know with
> the help of people
> like you...

Well, this remember me an episode a couple of months
ago, when experimenting with OpenBSD, a guy helped me
with a issue during the installation and believe me,
my post was very kind compared with the answers he
gave to me :-). The trick was, be patient and give all
the feedback that you can, but always read the docs
before questioning.

>pointing me out stuff. And to top it
> all: english is not my
> birth langage.

Same here ;-).

> The thing is that I cannot read documentation when I
> don't know what to
> read.

Always the setup, howto, FAQ and documentation
sections of every "open-source" project documentation.
We can say they become  a standard.

> As for irritant 1: thanks for pointing out samba
> printing. Can you tell
> me what to look for into it? how my problem is
> named?

If your desktops are running windows I advise you
using WHFC or any windows client.

> irritant 2: yes, I read both setup.php and
> howto/index.php. I
> sincerely don't know what I did wrong.

You don't pay atention to an important iten, the
information about faxgetty. You must add a line in
/etc/inittab like this

s0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

After saving the file you must run  init q in the
shell to the changes take effect.

After you comleted the faxsetup, the script ask if you
want setup a modem right? Did you configured the modem
in Class1? After adding the modem, didn't the script
warn you that you must add faxgetty in inittab file?

> irritant 3: weither I wait a few seconds or long
> minutes... it always
> waits for a queued fax to initialize, then come
> ready then fax.

Ummm, I think that's because faxgetty is not
controlling the modems. When running faxstat the
output should be

HylaFAX scheduler on srvfax.creditus.pt: Running
Modem ttyS0 (your fax number): Running and idle

> Best regards
>
> Marco

Hope this helps for now. Cheers.