Re: [hylafax-users] Discarded application (pdf)

Michele Della Marina wrote:

Sorry if this problem was posted several times. But I have not clear
ideas. I have hylafax 4.1.6, I have installed metamail and I use
postfix and squirrelmail to send fax through email. Receiving fax
converted in pdf is all ok.

I would like send a pdf attachment but in receiver fax machine the
error occurs: discarded application / octet-stream goes here. I have
read that is not possible send pdf (only ascii and ps) But I have
also read this (in manual typerules): ..

Only three types of files are accepted by the HylaFAX server for transmission as facsimile: POSTSCRIPT® files, PDF files, and TIFF
Class F (bilevel Group 3-encoded) files. All other types of files
must be converted to one of these two formats. ..

What is the problem? Why can't I send a pdf attachment? Thanks Michele

I believe that the sending of PDF is on a to-do list somewhere, and that the documentation is not completely correct there, IIRC. However it should be possible, in theory, to hack something together that does the conversion from PDF to PS and fax that.

Josh