[hylafax-users] Freeware problem report

On Aug. 1st, 2003 I reported some problems with SFI's Hylafax 4.1.2 on IRIX 6.5.18 and after upgrading to IRIX 6.5.21 problems went up to a complete unusability of package. Here is the report.
s/w: hylafax 4.1.2 1278325720
s/o: IRIX 6.5.21f
modem: USR Robotics Sportster (used for 5 years...) either Vi 14400 FaxModem (actual) or Flash (also tested)
h/w: Origin 200 (also tested on O2)
Previous scenario: using 4.0.1pl1 IRIX 6.5.17 either on Origin 200 (under support contract 690D98DD_IT78) or on our Indy R4K (defuncted on August... rip) and the USR modem ecerithing worked fine; we had some troubles with Flash (33Kbps) using the data/fax special feature of hylafax on 4.1.2, but not a matter; then we upgraded to IRIX 6.5.18 this latest version (4.1.2) became unusable - as per our Aug. note - due to a 0xa error code the sendfax command terminates woth at the beginning of a SEND page command after a succesful training; so we decided to s/w downgrade to 4.0.1pl1; unfortunately we found this version too unusable, as it creates a 2GB tif file everytime the fax is 2 pages or more.
Actual scenario: after upgrading to IRIX 6.5.21f and using the new (ACTUAL) 4.1.2 Hylafax we got the following errors:
- an EMPTY LINE from MODEM as a reply to AT+FRH=3 cause training to be repeated unsuccesfully up to the lowest speed on fax to be sent, then the transmission is unsuccesfully ended in a regular way;
- if we USE 1D and slow serial line (9600) speed to the modem, we got a CONNECT from modem after the AT+FRH=3, but as soon as we start to send the page (the training ended correctly, so we have a AT+FTM=98 / CONNECT handshake and we start to SEND the first page) the program ends with a 0xa error code;
- on receiving FAXes, after a succesful training (2D, 14400) and a succesful AT+FTH=3 / CONNECT handshake we issue a AT+FRM=146 and we receive a CONNECT, so we start RECV the begin page, but program ends with the same error code 0xa
- moreover, if we use xonxoff instead of rtscts on receiving faxes, an EMPTY LINE from modem after AT+FRH=3 at RECV FAX begin section (before receiving TSI, at the very beginning) cause the software to end with a regular T.30 T1 timeout.
So:
1) we cannot SEND faxes ither using rtscts or xonxoff, either 38400 or 19200 or 9600 speed, either 1D or 2D or 14400 or 9600 with two different behaviour (0xa error from program exiting or emty line from modem) that seems related to the capability of getting / nogetting the chars from the modem;
2) we cannot receive the same way faxes.
We didn't test putting the modem in Class 2.0 as we think it is not a Class related problem, as we used this modem in Class1 for some years (with data/fax option) and we actually use the modem for data (ppp) access to/from internet with bright colors.
So we would like to know if it is possible to have a IRIX compiled version of 4.1.7 Hylafax in order to test this software or if you think it is a IRIX 6.5.21f related problem and to have the necessary patches to solve this problem or if we have to push the customer to leave sgi irix and go to windows or sun for this job with a microsoft product (deprecated horrible solution).
If you can give help, it is welcome, regards from
Marco Filippi - CADMO