From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Josh Welch
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2003 10:59 AM
To: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Difference in classes

Matt Yeager said:

What's the difference exactly between class 1, class 1.0, class 2, class
2.0, and class 2.1 . I've looked around some online, but can't find any
definative comparison. Which one is the better one to use for faxing?
                -Matt

My experience is only with 1, 2 and 2.0. Long story short, running a
modem in 2 and 2.0 means that the modems firmware handles the
conversations, running in 1 means that the application, in this case
hylafax, handles the conversation. Using 2 and 2.0 means that your
processor doesn't have to handle that work load, but this is largely
irrelevant in todays hardware market, IMHO. Class 1 means that if there
are any oddities or bugs in the firmware of the modem, the application
can work around those problems. A number of modems that do not work well
with hylafax in 2 or 2.0 work just fine in class 1.

Josh

/dev/null
  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx*