[hylafax-users] gcc error compiling hylafax on ydl 3.0

With the 4.1.5 source and a fresh install of yellow dog linux 3.0
sirius, I get this gcc error with the configure script:

Configuring HylaFAX (tm) (aka FlexFAX) 4.1.5.

If configure does the wrong thing, check the file config.log for
information that may help you understand what went wrong.

Reading site-wide parameters from ./config.site.
YOW!!  Did something bad happen or am I on a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
system?
Using /usr/bin/gcc for a C compiler (set CC to override).
Looks like /usr/bin/gcc supports the -g option.
Using " -g" for C compiler options.
Looks like /usr/bin/gcc has an ANSI C preprocessor.
... but __ANSI_CPP__ is not automatically defined, will compensate.
Looks like /usr/bin/gcc supports the -M option for generating make
dependencies.

Cannot locate a suitable C++ compiler.

We attempted to compile the following test program:

class foo {
public:
     struct bar {
         int a;
         bar();
     };
     foo();
};
foo::bar::bar() { a = 0; }
foo::foo() { bar x; }
int main() { foo t; return 0; }

with these compilers:

      g++ gcc CC NCC DCC gcc2 xlC

but none of them were successful.

To build this software you need a C++ compiler that supports a
reasonably modern version of C++.  In particular the compiler must
support nested types and process temporary variables according to the
ANSI Reference Manual (the ARM).

If such a compiler is in a non-standard location, you can specify its
location in several ways:

     o set the environment variable CXX
     o create a config.local or config.site file that includes a
       definition for CXX
     o supply it on the command line using -with-CXX=<pathname>

If you are trying to use GNU gcc, but you do not have version 2.6.1
or newer, then you must update your compiler (and probably libg++ as
well) before you can compile this software.  Consult the documentation
for information about obtaining an up-to-date version of gcc.

Unrecoverable error!  Once you've corrected the problem rerun this
script.

however:

[ammacdon@mastaff]$ rpm -q gcc
gcc-3.2.2-2a