[hylafax-users] Strange problem with sendfax...

Hello!

I wanted to write a CGI application which allows to enter some text into a
form which is then transmitted by mail and/or fax.

The CGI program is written in FreePascal and works, using the following way:
1.  I open a pipe to 'sendfax -m -n -N -E -d xxxxxxxxxxx' for writing
2.  I write out the content of the FAX as plain ASCII
3.  I flush the output buffer and close the pipe.

The same procedere is used for sending the content by eMail by opening a pipe
into sendmail rather than sendfax, AND THIS WORKS PERFECTLY.

What I experienced is that sendfax causes bid difficulties when it cannot
return its answer. Of course the pipe os only in direction towards sendfax, so
it cannot answer, but I am absolutely not interested in getting it at all,
because queueing a job always works.

     IS THERE A WAY TO OPERATE SENDFAX ABSOLUTELY QUIET, LIKE SENDMAIL?

Because I open a pipe to sendfax, there is no shell involved which allows
redirecting the unwanted output of sendfax to /dev/null. So I cannot do
something like

  popen(f, '/usr/bin/sendfax -m -n -N -d 12345 > /dev/null 2>&1', 'W');

Any help is welcome.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |
|      (o o)              Forget Windoze! -- We focus on L-I-N-U-X... |
| Ing. Rainer HANTSCH |  mail: office@hantsch.co.at                   |
| Khunngasse 21/20    |   www: http://www.hantsch.co.at               |
| A-1030 Vienna       |   tel: +43-1-79885380    fax: +43-1-798853818 |
| ** A u s t r i a ** | handy: +43-664-9194382   UID-Nr: ATU 11134002 |