Re: [hylafax-users] Non-GUI Front End

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:57:05AM -0600, Carl Carstenson wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I am looking for a character-based front end for filling out a
> coversheet from a linux box. I could write a shell or perl script.But
> figured that someone out there has or knows of a program that would be
> much better than I could throw together.

I haven't seen such an interface yet (not that I'm the expert there)
but I've been considering some Java software to build a simple
coverpage builder.

Currently, this is at the way bottom of my todo list but I will give
you what info/ideas I have.

What I found was a Java class called PSGr (use google) that uses
a standard Graphics interface to build PS documents.  I have
successfully used this class to make some simple test PS documents.
This class basically allows you to use the GUI toolkit (drawing, fonts etc)
to make your PS.

IIRC, it does use portions of the AWT (GUI) classes and so wanted X
installed for support libraries.  I'm pretty sure I saw that the latest
JDK (1.4+) has an option to run AWT 'headless' in server environments.
You may want to investigate this headless option to further reduce the
dependancy on X.  In my tests, I recall the JVM wanted X installed
and maybe my display set but didn't display anything.  It just generated
a PS stream.

Any more tips from the HylaFAX+AS400 guru?

good luck,

-joe
--
     Innovation Software Group, LLC - http://www.innovationsw.com