Re: [hylafax-users] Compiling Hylafax in RetHat 8.0

hmm.. if /usr/local/lib and /usr/lib are empty, then there aren't any
libraries installed.  That is very unusual.  Assuming you installed from
a redhat cd (or even from a nfs/ftp share) you can install the necessary
libraries that go with redhat 8 from the cd.  Just mount it and do a
directory search for tiff.  This is a typical 'which came first, the
chicken or the egg?' hunt because you will probably need other libraries
that go with .tiff.  It will tell you , and ultimately you'll find the
libraries needed.  After you have installed (from RPM is easiest here),
you'll need to run a program called 'ldconfig', run that as root, and
then try to compile hylafax again.

'lib' is a directory on your system, not a binary executable.  It should
be where all you libraries are stored.  To further explain, most linux
installs assume that you are a administrator of some sort, or a
developer, and as a developer you need to code, which is why most linux
distros comes with a compiler, libraries, optimizers, and tons of
documentation to make your life as a devloper easier.  The problem
sometimes is that the linux distro takes too much for granted and
assumes to much of newer users...

First check your libraries, it sounds like they aren't installed, you'll
have to fix that, then try to recompile the hylafax.

joey