[hylafax-users] HylaFax Installation on Solaris 9

I have recently installed HylaFax on Solaris 9.  Here
are the steps I took and the problems I encountered
with solutions.

Anthony Howe

Solaris 9 Installation of Hylafax
=================================

This text document describes the source installation
of Hylafax.  The modem used for this was an external
USRobotics 28.8 Fax Modem located off of the
/dev/cua/a port.

Talking to the modem.  To talk to the modem I used
tip.  I setup /etc/remote with the two lines
	hardwire:\
:dv=/dev/cua/a:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
To talk to the modem I then typed 'tip hardwire'.
This allowed me to issue at commands to the modem.  To
exit type the following sequence: '<enter>','~','.' .
The instructions for talking to the modem I obtained
from the document "Celeste's Tutorial on Solaris 2.x
Modems & Terminals" located on http://www.stokely.com.

Procedure
=========

Added the following packages before installation of
Hylafax:

ghostscript-6.0-sol8-sparc-local
tiff-3.5.6-sol8-sparc-local

All the commands below were performed as root.

1. Unpackaged the source code to
/usr/local/backup/hylafax/src

2. Ran the following commands:
	./configure --with-DSO=no
	make
	make install
The switch "--with-DSO=no" was used to avoid the
problem message showing up on the running of hfaxd:
"HylaFAX:Str.c++:336: failed assertion `data ==
&emptyString'"

3. executed /usr/local/sbin/faxsetup to setup fax
settings and modem
After this the hylafax files were located in the
following directories:
/usr/local/man - the manpages, remember to view these
you must add this directory to your MANPATH
environment variable
/usr/local/lib/fax - various files including the
config files hfaxd.conf, and hyla.conf
/usr/local/sbin - various fax util binaries
/usr/local/bin - common fax util binaries
/var/spool/hylafax - the hylafax spool directory
/etc/init.d/hylafax - init script to start or stop the
hfaxd or faxq damons. This script is renamed as
K20hylafax and located in /etc/rc0.d, /etc/rc1.d, and
/etc/rcS.d.  This script is also renamed as S80hylafax
and is located in the /etc/rc2.d directory.

4. Added the following line to /etc/initab:
m0:2345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty cua/a
This line will spawn the faxgetty damon to monitor the
ongoing status of the modem

5. Add the following lines to your crontab file.  This
is for regular maintenance:
0 * * * * /usr/local/sbin/faxqclean
0 0 * * * /usr/local/sbin/faxcron | mail -s "HylaFAX
Usage Report"

6. to start the server type:
/etc/init.d/hylafax start
/usr/sbin/init q (this will start faxgetty)

7. monitor the server status with faxstat

Problem #1
==========
When using sendfax the following error occurs:

No font metric information found for "Courier-Bold".
Usage: /usr/local/sbin/textfmt [-1] [-2] [-B] [-c]
[-D] [-f fontname] [-F fontdir(s)] [-m N] [-o #] [-p
#] [-r] [-U] [-Ml=#,r=#,t=#,b=#] [-V #] files...
>out.ps
Default options: -f Courier -1 -p 11bp -o 0
Error converting data; command was
"/usr/local/sbin/textfmt -B -f Courier-Bold -Ml=0.4in
-p 11 -s default >/tmp//sndfaxrRaqhl
</var/spool/hylafax/etc/test"

Solution
========
Ensure that the file /usr/local/lib/fax/hyla.conf has
the settings:
	FontMap: /usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fonts
	FontPath: /usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fonts
Ensure that the ghostscript fonts and fontmap are
located in the above specified directory.  Otherwise
change these paths to where the ghostscript fons and
fontmap are located.  After the installation of the
source the file /usr/local/lib/fax/hfaxd.conf may
exist but not /usr/local/lib/fax/hyla.conf.  Ensure
that /usr/local/lib/fax/hyla.conf exists as textfmt
uses this configuration file and not hfaxd.conf.

Problem #2
==========
After sendfax has submitted a fax, and email is
returned stating there is a problem with ghostscript
finding the necessary fonts it needs to create a tiff
file.

Solution
========
On my system ghostscript was looking for fonts
described in
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fontmap that were
located in the
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fonts directory.
To fix this I copied the fonts in the
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib/fonts directory
to the /usr/local/share/ghostscript/6.0/lib directory.