[hylafax-users] Can hylafax `proxy' to another hylafax server?

Hi. I'm setting up a send-only hylafax server, with 4 modems, eventually
to be upgraded to 8 if all goes well. This will be a pretty busy server,
with hundreds of outgoing faxes/day.

I've been reading over the FAQ and HOWTO, and am slowly picking my way
through the mailing list archives. So far I haven't found an answer to
this question, hopefully it isn't a dumb question:

Can Hylafax use another Hylafax server to send faxes?

Here's the situation: I have a fully-functional Hylafax server with
4 modems, and a spare PC I can attach 2 more modems to (or 4, for the
price of an add-in ISA card (probably free, if I look through my parts
bin)). I'd like to have the existing server send its excess traffic to
the second server, which will then use its locally-attached modems to
send out those faxes.

I realize there would be the issue of error reporting (if server #2
can't send the fax, it should really have a way to let server #1 know,
so all the errors can be logged in one place).. but that concern aside,
is what I want to do possible, perhaps with some clever scripting? Has
anyone on the list ever done such a thing, or tried to?

Basically I'm trying to recycle existing equipment (the old PC in the
corner) instead of having to buy a multi-port serial card with 6 or
8 ports.

I've also thought of running a daemon on the second server that listens
on a TCP port and acts as a TCP <=> serial port pass-through. On the
first server, I would have a client for this that listens on a FIFO,
and configure the FIFO as a `modem' for Hylafax to use. In this case,
there wouldn't need to be a Hylafax server running on the second box at
all. Has anyone had any experience with a setup like this? (I realize
it's a dirty hack, but it should be at least possible, right?)

Thanks,

B. Watson