Re: [hylafax-users] smbfax problems

On Wednesday, September 25, 2002, at 12:17  AM, Brian wrote:
> <quote>
> If you use version 1.2 of the script it gives a more informative error.
>
> The last time I set it up I had this error and in my case it was
> because
> setuid failed (the script wasn't being run as root so it couldn't
> setuid to
> the
> user who was requesting the fax so it could sendfax from them)
>
> In my case the cure was to chmod u+s smbfax-html (to the v1.4 script)
> so that it ran as root (assuming it is owned by root)
>
> I've set up smbfax about 3 or 4 times now, never been a problem really.
> </quote>

Brian,

In my cgi-bin/fax directory, I have the followinf permissions set:

[trymes@biff fax]$ pwd
/var/www/cgi-bin/fax
[trymes@biff fax]$ ls -l
total 32
-rwsr-sr-x    1 root     root        13653 Sep 24 10:11 smbfax-html
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1302 Sep 24 10:11 smbfax-html.c
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        10329 Sep 24 10:07 smbfax-html.pl
[trymes@biff fax]$

I tried setting smbfax-html.pl to -rwsr-sr-x, but Apache gave me a
misconfiguration error then. I am afraid that my problem stems from the
fact that my RedHat bundled Apache uses /var/www as its document root
instead of /usr/local/www as the script author's config.

I figure that maybe somewhere the script is looking for the wrong
directory.

This looks like the most promising client for my needs. Cypheus is
great, but I plan on rolling out in a commercial setting, and the
budget won't allow for it. Not to mention that I can't seem to get it
to authenticate to the host. (Always says wrong pw/username even though
it is in the hfaxd.hosts file)

Tom