[hylafax-users] Tale of woe in a send-only environment

  Hi, I just joined your mailing list here in hopes that I can get these crazy problems I'm having resolved.

  I'm using HylaFax 4.1.3 with a Hayes 56k modem, on a Slackware 8.0 Linux installation.

All the problems described below occur when the modem is setup for class 1 or class 1.0, and also happend with a USR Sportster in class 1.0 and 2.0.

  My problem is that whenever I try to setup a send-only environment for exporting orders to our clients I get errors where after sending a fax the modem never comes back to the 'running and idle' state.  An example of the problem is this:  I'll install HylaFax, setup the modem and everything, have it run faxmodem on each modem, and then send a fax.  The fax will go through perfectly, but afterwards, in faxstat, the modem is always in a "Waiting for modem to come ready" state.  All subsequent attempts to fax will just sit in the queue while the modem is in this state.

  If I try to force the modem to the ready state with faxstate -s ready ttyS1, I get stuff like this

root@mail:~# faxstate -s ready ttyS1
FIFO.ttyS1: open: No such device or address
root@mail:~# ls -l /var/spool/hylafax/FIFO*
prw-------    1 uucp     uucp            0 Sep  4 11:52 /var/spool/hylafax/FIFO
prw-------    1 uucp     wheel           0 Sep  4 11:33 /var/spool/hylafax/FIFO.ttyS1
root@mail:~# strace faxstate -s ready ttyS1 2> file
root@mail:~# grep FIFO.ttyS1 file
open("FIFO.ttyS1", O_WRONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)

  I get this same error and the same results even *just* after installing HylaFax and running the same command, even before I send out my first fax.

  I discovered the only way I could get the modem to come back ready was to run faxgetty ttyS1, wait a little while, then kill the faxgetty.  After doing this the modem is Running and idle.

  What happens after sending a fax that causes my modem to not come ready?

  Why does faxstate always fail to access the FIFO?

  If the FIFO is invalid how am I sending faxes with sendfax?  How does faxgetty run?

  What does faxgetty do that enabled the modem to come back to it's ready state?

  Most importantly, what do I do now? :)

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Sean