[hylafax-users] Invalid TIFF format

I am using RedHat 7.3 and the most recent hylafax RPM
distribution for RedHat. I did the following successfully:
(a) I got my 4 port multitech serial board installed with drivers
(b) Tested the 4 external multitech modems with "minicom". Got
them so I can dial from minicom, and set them so they will
autoanswer an incoming call.
(c) Got the hylafax RPM installed successfully (it recognizes
the modems, I can send faxes with faxsend, it can receive a
fax successfully.) The log file is A-OK.
But - the tif file in the receive Q directory, when I do
either of:
(1) upload it to a WinXP box and try to view it with either of
the 2 TIFF viewers on that box, or
(2) look at it with gimp on Linux,
in neither case can the received fax be read.
So - I can send and receive, and no errors in the log or in
the email notifying me of the received fax.
But the viewers that look at TIFF files think it is invalid.
Any guesses? Is the hylafax TIF format nonstandard somehow?
And if so, how do I convert it to the standard TIFF viewable
by gimp on Linux and standard TIFF viewers on MS?
Regards,
John Tullis
847-867-1032