[hylafax-users] DID/DNIS clarification needed ASAP

I am trying to finalize a SHORT book section on HylaFAX. However, I am
having trouble getting definitive/consistent information about DID
and/or DNIS support. This is my current understanding:

* Both of these are ways to map n virtual numbers to one or more
   actual numbers. DID is analog and DNIS is digital.

* HylaFAX supports both via CIDNUMBER.

Is this correct?

Here is the current text that is in question:

In practical terms, the most useful routing items are the originating
phone number (which must be obtained via caller ID) and the incoming
phone number.  In the latter case, HylaFAX has the ability to route on
the direct inward dial (DID) or direct number identification service
(DNIS) telephone number. DNIS is a digital service offered by the
telephone company in which a block of virtual telephone numbers are all
routed to one or more real phone line(s). DID is a similar analog
service.* Using either of them, various employees in a company can each
be assigned their own, unique fax number, but all incoming faxes
actually go to one or more phone line(s) managed by the HylaFAX server.
  The DID/DNIS number of the incoming call is passed to HylaFAX which
can use it as a key for determining where to route the fax.

* DNIS is also used in other contexts (e.g., for routing voice calls to
the correct person based upon the which of several 800 telephone numbers
was dialed). Similarly, DID is also used, for example, to route incoming
phone calls to employee extensions without requiring an operator. Both
services are expensive. DNIS typically uses a T1 line, and its monthly
costs start at around $100-$200 US. In my area (CT, USA), DID currently
costs about $100 per month for 20 virtual numbers, and also requires a
startup fee of about $750 (as of July 2002).

What I need to know is if this is correct or not. I don't have this
service, so I have no direct experience (other than getting a DID quote
from my phone company). Also, I cannot expand this section much, so
changes have to be kept to a minimum.

Thanks in advance for your help.

aefrisch@lorentzian.com

AEleen Frisch