[hylafax-users] "Command Failed"

Hello all,

I raided a post http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2001-08/msg00036.php by a
"Jon M. McNamara" for this one since it seems so close to the trouble I am
having with a very similar setup **and** I can't find any follow up to his
post, so I thought I'd see if anyone else cares to take a stab...

Hardware: Pentium 90Mhz; 32MB RAM; MultiSystems Multitech ZDX36

Platform: Slackware 8.0 2.2.19 Kernel ('stock', w/glibc-2.2.3, Perl 5.6.1,
using the supplied Apache 1.3.2 and Samba 2.2.0a. Added the required Perl
Modules for smbfax (CGI, Digest::MD5, Net::SMTP))

Goal: Build a  Fax Server for about 50 internal Win98 clients using HylaFAX
4.1.2 and smbfax 1.4 (latest release), and Apache, and Samba. Don't want to
put ANYTHING on the client except another print driver (comes with Windows)
which is why the HylaFAX/smbfax combo looked so attractive.

Compiled HylaFAX 1.4 with out any issues. Faxmodem was set up OK. I AM able
to do 'sendfax' from the command prompt - works repeatedly, reliably and
fine. 'Faxstatus' seems to give good and correct information each time.
Modem, port, locks, etc. seemed to open and close correctly. Command line
switches seemed to respond OK (Cover Page, No cover page, e-mail notif., NO
e-mail notif., etc). So HylaFAX, I was guessing was looking good at this
point. Apache and Samba are running without errors. I went through the
procedure for smbfax and had to do the Perl 5.6 "wrapper" thing they suggest
to get it run suid correctly. OK, that worked. Went through carefully and
made some path corrections for smbfax as per my distro (ie. where sendfax
and other HylaFAX programs are located, etc.) OK, no problems, plenty of
commentary in the .conf files, etc... So at this point, the whole 'chain'
almost works: I can print to the Samba printer (Samba passes to smbfax), I
get the e-mail notification to "Complete Your Fax"(Sendmail is routing), the
CGI appears to activate correctly (Apache/Perl::CGI responds) when I follow
the link from the e-mail (I get the 'fax completion' page), I can fill out
the form as desired with the number, and select the coupla' options as
desired... The rub is, when I press the "Send Fax" button at the bottom of
the form, I actually get the message (page is returned to the browser) that
says "Fax Sent", but then right below that (in that same page) is an error
message "COMMAND FAILED" and then below that: (returned non-zero exit status
"255") There is no error message sent back via e-mail (as is suggested in
this 'completion page'), and since the server (in prototype mode) is sitting
right next to me here in my office, I can say for certain that I never hear
the modem go "off-hook" to attempt to fax anything via HylaFAX - nor does
anything ever appear in HylaFAX's 'fax sent log'. It's like the final
"handoff" to HylaFAX isn't taking place.

Regards,

Steven Macfarlane

steven@grandypratt.com.com