Re: [hylafax-users] Receive Errors

The push recently has been to use class 1, the theory being that in this
mode HylaFAX code can be used to overcome shortfalls in manufacturer
firmware. The old push towards class 2 was, if I recall correctly, a result
of concern that the PC hardware couldn't do the processing without
resulting in timing issues with the fax receipt. The hardware available
today, or even a couple years ago, makes this a moot point. There has been
a couple of extensive threads regarding class 1 vs class 2, you can search
the archives for further info.

My understanding is also that there is some work being done to modify site
content away from the previous class 2 bias, someone correct me if I am
speaking out of turn.

Lastly, it has been stated that virtually any modem could be made to work
with an extremely high rate of success while running in class 1, the
advantage of being able to use HylaFAX code to overcome manufacturer
shortfalls. I haven't been able to put this to the test, as the multitechs
I have don't do class 1, but it sounds logical.

I would think that you should be able to get your Multitechs running okay
in class 2. If you are running the MT1932ZDX I know there is a chip upgrade
available with some fixes that improve faxing, I forget exactly what the
name of it is, but one of the other list readers pointed it out, perhaps
they can chime in. Otherwise, I've heard good things about the ZyXEL, and
all of the ones listed on the site support class 1.