Re: [hylafax-users] How do I print successfully sent faxes?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:55:30 +0000, procadas@creditus.pt wrote:

>>I assume you print with
>>cat something | lpr
>
>Actually, no. You're right Lee, I must be more verbose :-))). I'm using the
>drivers/programs from Xerox(pub), the printers that we have here.
>
>>So, does lpr behave in a different way depending on the printer being
>>online/offline?
>
>As I said above, I'm not using lpr. I can try search for lpr or cups
>drivers to the Xerox printers but that will be for "academic tests".

So the problem is due more to the printer program than faxrcvd.

Usually lpr returns immediately, because the file is spooled.

It seems the program you are using is trying to send stuff directly to the
printer (or similar thing) and is not happy if it's offline; it wants to be
sure the file is printed, whereas lpr wants to be sure lpd receives it.

So instead of calling the printer program from faxrcvd, have faxrcvd place
the file in some dir, and have the prog scans that dir.

--
giulioo@pobox.com