Re: [hylafax-users] Help selecting a modem.

Here is my two cents worth.
We have two clients running about ten thousand pages per day of sent faxes.

Client #1 uses MultiTech 2834BR (Rack Mount) connected to an Equinox SST
PCI multi-port card.
This client uses 8 MODEMs. This client almost exclusively sends to a single
model of FAX
machine. This of course (Sorry Lee!) is not "fair". The error we see are
almost exclusively
related to "bad" telephone lines. Over 99% of the FAXes are sent without
incident.

Client #2 uses MultiTech 4800 Series Rack MODEMs which are 2834 technology
jammed
into 6 MODEMs per card. This client uses an Equinox ESP which is a network
connected
multi-port serial interface. This client uses 6 MODEMs. This clients sends
to some
FAX machines that were out of date when they were manufactured. The
non-telephone line
related errors are in the single digits percentage wise

My "test" server has a variety of MODEMs including current generation
MT5600ZDX (externals)
as well as a bunch of other MultiTech and Non-MultiTech MODEMs. The MODEM
that I have the
most trouble with is a USR MODEM. (Sportster 33.6 Data/FAX)

The reason we don't use internal MODEMs is simple...
To reset the MODEM you reset the computer.

-Jeff H.

At 02:28 PM 10/22/01 +0100, Thorsteinn Sigurdsson wrote:
>Hi,
>After messing around with my current modem I've decided to get a new one.
>The problem is that I need a modem that can send to all our client fax
>machines (not most of them) without any complications.
>Looking at the Q003: Which modems can be used with HylaFAX on
>http://www.hylafax.org/HylaFAQ/Q003.php the only recomended modem that has
>no known problems is the Multi-Tech     MT1932ZDX.
>I've only found 2 supplyers on the net with that make and it costs $120
>(quite expensive), and they don't send to europe. I'm sure there are newer
>models which should not have any problems, and hopefully at a more
>reasonable price...
>Any ideas???
>
>Regards,
>Thorsteinn Sigurdsson (tsigurdsson@tnsn.com)
>The National Solicitors' Network
>73, Gloucester Road
>SW7 4SS, London, UK
>Tel: 2027 2446422 - Fax: 0207 3706529 - GSM: 0794 9038206

Jeff Herring  /  jeffh@sldsi.com
Seacoast Laboratory Data Systems, Inc.
Voice:  603 431 4114  x14
FAX:    603 431 2112