Re: [hylafax-users] Multitech MT1932ZDX Class1 config

At 11:40 AM 10/12/01 -0500, Josh Welch wrote:
>I am trying to troubleshoot some transmission errors we've been having to
>some numbers, No response to EOP repeated 3 times; Giving up after 3
>attempts to send same page, No answer (T.30 T1 timeout); too many attempts
>to dial, and No carrier detected.

In reverse order:
- no carrier detected : you're calling a non-fax line
- no answer : the line rings and rings but no answer for 30 sec
- no response to EOP : ....

the no response to EOP error is quite a broad problem, mostly because so
much time elapses between the "okay to send page" and the confirmation of
the page received (EOP response).  So, there are admittedly some bugs with
HylaFAX which can cause this.  The patches are all available on Bugzilla,
however if this is a big deal to you, I suggest that you check out CVS and
then apply the patches on Bugs 193 and 197 to it.  This is what I currently
use (plus some more patches that don't involve EOP).

If you still have no response to EOP errors, then you can try adjusting
Class1PPMWaitCmd, Class1TCFWaitCmd, and Class1EOPWaitCmd.  Note, however,
that after *a lot* of tweaking on my part here on my production systems, I
still get no response to EOP errors - about 0.5% of the time.  My guess on
this is that the receiver is turning off their fax machine after the page
starts - people will do that when they think they're getting spam.

> As part of this I have been trying to
>configure the modem, a Multitech MT1932ZDX, as Class1. When I do this and
>try to send a fax, faxstat reports "Modem ttyS0 (1.952.593.9787):Waiting for
>modem to come free", continuously, and no transmission is attempted.

Your config file is probably wrong or there's some other process that's
using the modem or you're not running faxgetty.

>turned up the server tracing and appended some output from my log that
>appears to indicate the issue, but I'm not sure what it means. Which brings
>me to my questions:
>
>1.Is trying Class1 a good direction to take in trying to troubleshoot these
>issues?

Class 1 is always a good choice.  Class 2 should only be used when modem
firmware is known to be reliable.

>Oct 12 11:02:58 faxbuffalowildwings FaxGetty[9820]: <-- [6:AT&K4\r]
>Oct 12 11:02:58 faxbuffalowildwings FaxGetty[9820]: --> [5:ERROR]
>Oct 12 11:02:58 faxbuffalowildwings FaxGetty[9820]: MODEM Command error

See, your config file is bad.