Re: [hylafax-users] Log file interpretation

At 10:09 PM 10/2/01 -0400, Jeff Herring wrote:

>Where is the log file produced by session tracing documented?

'man hylafax-log'

>Specifically, I'm trying to debug a situation where a client
>claims he's not getting a FAX, however the log file looks like the one
>included below.
>
>I'm wondering what portion of this log file actually indicates that the
>FAX machine at the remote end has acknowledged the reception of a given page.

That would be a response after EOP.

>For example: this snippet from below seems to indicate a successful page sent
>but what do some of these entries mean.
>
>Oct 02 20:14:31.94: [ 7351]: <-- data [2]
>Oct 02 20:14:31.94: [ 7351]: SEND end page
>Oct 02 20:14:35.52: [ 7351]: --> [136:]      <-- This means what?

It means that you're using Class 2 and that the data has been sent
completely now.  This last bit of data was flags or something of that sort
to get an end-of-page awareness to the firmware.

>Oct 02 20:14:35.52: [ 7351]: --> [2:OK]      <-- This means what?

It means that the firmware has completely received the end-of-page internal
flags and that the modem believes that it sent the data properly

Please excuse me for not addressing the rest of your fax log.  I don't
understand Class 2/2.0 logs very well at all, since I am not familiar with
the code that runs it.  Furthermore, much of a Class 2/2.0 log will depend
on the modem firmware, which can vary greatly.  For the most part - if
Class 2 is not functioning properly, but HylaFAX indicates that it is -
well, then, there's not much anybody but the firmware people can do about
it, so I'd recommend using Class 1 instead.