[hylafax-users] Faxgetty Intermittent - Unable to initialize modem , can not setup modem

I have the following stuff installed:

redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.16-3 patched for PPTP/VPN support
ghostscript-5.50-1.i386.rpm
ghostscript-fonts-5.50-1.noarch.rpm
libgr-devel-2.0.13-23.i386.rpm
libtiff-3.5.5-2.i386.rpm
hylafax-4.1beta2-8rh6.i386.rpm

On my slow Pentium 166, Linux firewall, faxserver, samba server, etc. everything works beautifully with either a USR 56K ISA internal modem or an old external 28.8 USR sportster faxmodem even in Class 2.0 mode with hardware flow control.  However at my customers location (running an exact copy of my Linux installation, with minor adjustments of course, but not in the HylaFAX configs).  I get intermittent faxgetty messages when trying to send a fax, "unable to setup modem and/or can not initialize modem".  This causes the outgoing fax to be re-queued and eventually HylaFAX sends the fax out.  These errors occur about half of the time.  They occur with my external sportster and with the customers old external 33.6 courier.  However, when I put in my 56K ISA sportster internal the customers setup works great.  At first I thought it might be his serial cable, changed it but no luck.  It seems to be isolated to using the 16550 serial ports built into the customers computer.  He has a PIII-800 (major overkill for 5 users ;) gigabyte BX chipset motherboard.  I cant find anything in the archive pertaining to this, except a vague comment a couple of years ago about the serial settings not being correct.  Does anyone know of a problem with race conditions, or anything else????  Maybe the newer serial ports in the customers machine???  The errors are not consistent.  Sometimes I get one error, sometimes the other, sometimes no error.  I have exhausted all my resources, can someone please help me regain my dignity?

Michael Brown
Instant Net Solutions
www.KillerPCs.net

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions