Re: [hylafax-users] Merging text and images

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 05:11:49PM -0800, John@dazza.org, Wythe/SCO: , "sysdev@dazza.org:root" <jwythe@silksystems.com> wrote:
> I understand that I have to come up with a method of handling overlays.
> What do you suggest is the best way to handle this?
>
> 1. Create a postscript file that has the text and image combined.  Then
> submit that to sendfax.
>
> 2.  Write a frontend to sendfax that handles PCL, and converts it to
> Postscript.
>
> 3. Modify Hylafax to do either 1 or 2.
>
> My thinking is to modify hylafax to do # 1.  However I am not entirly
> familar with Hylafax or postscript (tho I am willing to learn).

I think option 1 would be the easiest thing to do, myself.

> I understand that Hylafax somewhere along the way converts a text file
> to postscript when I send a plain text file to sendfax.  Is this
> correct?
> If so where is this done,  server side, client side?

It's done on the server, based on matching the submitted file against a
typerules file.

> What program is it done in, sendfax?

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure it's spun off from hfaxd, but I'm not an
internals guy.

> Which side requires Ghostscript? Server or Client, Both?

The server requires it to generate g3 tiff files.

> If Ghostscript is used to generate the Postscript can one use
> ghostscript to do the merging by changing the command used to generate
> the postscript output?

Wow.  Maybe it's late, but I just can't parse that question.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink