Re: [hylafax-users] Using multiple servers

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 05:15:33PM -0800, <jwythe@silksystems.com> wrote:
> We have a client that has many branch offices locate across the country.
> The run there software from a central system.  However they would like
> to have the faxes sent from the local system.

So the computers generating faxes are all in one place, but you want to
run HylaFAX on each branch office's machine?

> Is there a way to have the client side determine which server should
> send a fax based on the phone number?  Or can a central server
> handle this and route the fax from there to the correct server?

If I correctly inferred your planned setup above, then I suppose your
application could check a table to decide which server to talk to, and,
assuming you have private IP connectivity (or are willing to build
tunnels), it could just pick a server on the fly when calling sendfax.

If not, then more information is necessary.

One point I will clear up though: once the fax is inside the HF server,
there isn't currently any way to forward it to a different server, or
even, so far as I know, to choose a modem port based on the
destination.  The latter could be done, I think, with some hacking to
the DestCtrls file handling; the former might take a fair amount of
work.  Or alternatively, something inbetween hfaxd and the users.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink