Re: [hylafax-users] RingData, RingVoice

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 11:26:33AM -0700, Peter Hirsch wrote:
> I'm using hylafax on i386, linux.  My local phone company can provide 'distinctive ring' which seems to be either short-short-short or short-long-short.  The 'config' info page shows arguments called RingData, RingFax, and RingVoice apply to the 'config.ttyS1' file.  Can anyone tell me:
>     1.  What are the 'strings' to be assigned to e.g. RingVoice so that my external USR modem handles the call correctly?

As a hipshot without looking at the config manual page, I suspect
they're whatever the USR returns as a RING string.  Assuming you've
enabled that functionality on the modem (an S-register, but I forget
which one), they're *probably* "RING 1", "RING 2", etc.

Set the modem up appropriately, and call it and find out.

>     2. Where do the appropriate conditional commands go?

They'd go in config.devid (the file named after your serial port).  On
an RPM install, that will be in /var/spool/fax/etc, I think.

>     3.  Are there special modems out there that help with this problem?

Any modem that can return independent ring strings for distinctive
rings will work; I *think* the USR can, but it will depend on the
firmware.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink