Re: [hylafax-users] "Simple" (I hope) send problem

At 01:16 AM 1/10/01 -0000, Richard Jamieson wrote:

>1.	When I run faxstat (no params) I see.
>	"HylaFAX scheduler on hostname: Running"
>
>	The other docs I've read make it look like I should also see an entry here
>for my fax devices (ie: showing its number).

I believe that this is normal for the first time when you're not running
faxgetty.  (Let me take this opportunity to urge you to use faxgetty even
though it is send-only - simply for the status information here.)

>2.	I run "sendfax -d "rich@555999555" -N /etc/group
>	This produces an email error messages and an entry in syslog.
>	The key message seems to be:
>	"Jan 10 00:47:38 hostname FaxQueuer[16658]: [ID 951086 local0.error] JOB
>27: Send program terminated abnormally with exit status 0x9"

What version of HylaFAX are you using, and what OS?  This message doesn't
mean "you don't have your phone line connected".  You should get a message
saying "no local dialtone" back by e-mail if there is no line connected.

>	I've searched the docs/website but I cant find any mention of this error -
>can anyone confirm that this error message means "You dont have
>	your phone line connected" ?

I've seen similar reports, though, perhaps 'exit status 0x8', but I believe
that they were resolved by using a newer version of HylaFAX (perhaps CVS).

>3.	Can anyone advise me how I can get more detailed log file information -
>I've tried adding entries to the config files (trace levels etc) - but it
>	doesnt seem to make any difference - no extra output.
>	Nothing ever appears in the "fax/log" directory or in the etc/xferfaxlog
>file.

You won't get any SessionTracing logs until a session starts - i.e. when a
fax is attempted.  So no log means no fax attempt.  If you turn up
ServerTracing then the standard messages sent to syslog will increase in
verbosity - but really, I've never gotten much out of these latter messages
when it comes to troubleshooting.

Anyway, turn faxgetty on with RingsBeforeAnswer set to zero.  And perhaps
try out a newer version of HylaFAX.