Re: [hylafax-users] config man page

At 03:05 AM 1/8/01 -0800, Paul A. Franz, P.E. wrote:
>At 06:44 AM 12/12/2000, Mr. Arlington Hewes wrote:
>

>>If you read man (5) config carefully, you'll see the following:
>
>man 5 config on my system gives you the man page for SSL config. Here is
>actually what is there:
... snip ...
>man 5f config doesn't give you the correct man page. The only way I can get
>this man page is to:
>
>[paul@Beaker paul]$ man -a config

Hmmm... the only way for me to get the SSL config manpage up is to do 'man
-a config'  The HylaFAX config is picked first on my system.

>So I think that there is a bug in the man page causing the opening error
>message and possibly the manpage could be renamed or relocated to a
>different section.

Actually, that opening error message referring to characters 'dg' and 'dd'
is that your version of groff doesn't support those characters, so I
believe that it simply skips them.  However, since gnu groff doesn't
support them (among other groffs, I'm sure), these characters have been
changed to gnu groff-compatible characters in CVS and these errors won't
appear in future HylaFAX releases.  In any case, it's really not a big
problem.

Wow, that would be a fair amount of work to maintain a consistency among
the package by changing the manpage numbers or to change the name "config"
everywhere in the package, too.  The only simple route would be to break
the consistency, perhaps.  Is it worth the cost?

>Anybody have a better solution?

'man -a config', 'q' sounds good to me.