Re: [hylafax-users] Notice about dialrules.europe

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 11:55:14AM +0100, David Tonhofer wrote:
> Question, in "etc/dialrules.europe" there is no transformation
> rule for the 'q' or 'Q' letter nor for the 'z' or 'Z'.
> However, we do have Philips(tm) phones around here with these
> letters mapped to '7' and '9' respectively.
>
> ...so I added them:

Alas, there are *three* standards for that mapping.  The original
mapping, due to Bell Labs, did not map those numbers at all.

A newer standard, due (I think) to Northern Telecom, maps "Q", "Z", and
" " as the three keys on the "1" button.

Finally, AT&T Lucnet has decided that the "Q" should go within PR and S
on the 7 key, as you note, and "Z" should go on the 9 key.  Of course,
this breaks all sorts of older spell-by-name directory software
packages, but they didn't seem too worried by that.

Morons.

In any event, though someone has told me that this last version is a
ITU-T standard these days, no one's presented a reference, and I vote
against, personally.

Matter of personal taste, but I think that doing it without warning
stands to generate a lot of bogus faxes.  Of course, it sort of depends
on whether companies are *using* those letters in name-numbers...
which I sort of suspect they're not, so who knows.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://baylink.pitas.com                +1 727 804 5015