Re: [hylafax-users] ASCII/PS to G3 format conversion problem

>I setup HylaFAX (latest version, compiled sources myself) on a RedHat Linux
>6.2 machine (i386).

Not to avoid answering the problems, but why not just use the RPM?  The RPM
is of a newer source vintage than the "latest version" that you likely
downloaded... unless you downloaded CVS version.  The RPM is listed in
http://www.hylafax.org/howto

>When I try to send an ASCII file using sendfax, a blank page arrives and a
>warning is given: "WARNING: are you sure that this is a G3 fax file? Doesn't
>seem to be..."
>If I manually convert this ASCII file to a PS file using textfmt and send is
>using sendfax, I get the same message.
>If I then manually convert this PS file to a fax-file using ps2fax.gs, a I
>get following error: "WARNING: file may be 'tiffg3' - TIFF file format is
>*not* supported. Thus fax transmission will most probably fail".

These errors are self-explanatory, although I have no guesses as to why it
is occurring.  I've done tarball installs on both RedHat 6.1 and 7.0
without this error appearing.  But... I never used the "latest version"
4.1beta2.  I always downloaded CVS version.

>What is wrong here?
>
>PS. Ghostscript is installed: version GNU Ghostscript 5.50
>
>Please help,
>I'm really stuck and need to get the faxmachine working asap.

Usually the quickest way on RedHat is to use the RPM.
See: http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.php#ss2.2